Did you know…
- Your skin is your largest organ? The average woman uses between 8-10 products on her body every single day and those products get absorbed right into her skin!
- The United States hasn’t passed a major federal law to regulate the ingredients used in personal care products since 1938!
- Over the past two decades, the European Union has banned more than 1,300 chemicals in the product formulas of personal care products. The U.S. has only partially banned 30 to date.
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today and many don’t have any safety data. This is particularly true of those used in the skin care and beauty industry.
Since having my second daughter almost four years ago, I’ve been switching out the products we use in our house and our on bodies. When it came to household products like cleaners, laundry detergent and fruit and veggie wash, I found it relatively easy to make positive changes. But I found myself struggling with beauty and skin care. With so many products on the market and an archaic legislation in place that basically allows companies to say they’re clean even if they’re not, I found it overwhelming.
When BeautyCounter came into my life, it took very little convincing for me to dive right in. I threw out all of my skin care (cleansers, soaps, moisturizers, lotions, sunscreens) and all of my makeup and replaced it with the entire BeautyCounter line including the kids line. Not only was it a one-stop solution that I could trust, but I was also instantly drawn to the company’s mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone.
Between essential oils and BeautyCounter, I think we’ve replaced almost 75% of the products we were using as a family. While we’re not green or 100% toxic-free, we’re certainly on a healthier path!
What makes BeautyCounter different
Because the current legislation that regulates the personal care industry hasn’t been updated since 1938, companies are allowed to put almost anything in the products that we use on our bodies. Not only is BeautyCounter transparent about every ingredient in its products, it’s also transparent about every phase of the selection process.
- BeautyCounter has a “never list” of 1,500 questionable and/or harmful chemicals are not allowed in its products. This includes over 1,300 chemicals that have been banned in Europe and Canada.
- Every ingredient is screened for safety using many different sources of information including industry data, academia, government bodies and non-profit health organizations.
- BeautyCounter never assumes that the absence of data regarding a chemical means it’s safe and therefore reviews emerging data on a regular basis and even commissions its own studies.
- BeautyCounter sources ingredients from sustainable, non-GMO suppliers and believes in supporting the U.S economy when possible.
- BeautyCounter is transparent about what’s in its products and often goes beyond what is required by law. Its product labels identify every formula ingredient.